Johannesburg – A Joburg magistrate considered a substantial amount of evidence pointing towards a man responsible for his wife’s death and denied him bail on that and several other factors.
On Wednesday, the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court ruled that Fadiel Albertyn, who stands accused of killing his wife Nicolette whose body is still missing, should remain behind bars until next month when a trial date will be decided.
Nicolette has been missing since February last year and her husband has insisted he had nothing to do with her disappearance or death.
But magistrate Pieter du Plessis was not convinced and said Albertyn had failed to adequately prove he should be freed on bail.
“The court is not satisfied you should be released on bail,” said Du Plessis. “There is a substantial amount of evidence that points to you.”
Reading from a police affidavit that was submitted to the court, the magistrate addressed Albertyn directly as he stood in the dock.
He told him that according to the court document, DNA linked him to the murder as police said the blood found at the couple’s house belonged to both of them.
According to police, he was seen using his ex-girlfriend’s car and loading something into it.
Albertyn apparently told his former partner he needed the vehicle to see his daughter, who had been in a car accident with her grandfather. But the grandfather has said no such incident occurred.
Du Plessis said police had information from the couple’s neighbours who said they heard them argue on the day Nicolette went missing.
Other factors, such as Albertyn being a potential flight risk as he didn’t have any fixed assets and is currently unemployed, also contributed to his not being released on bail.
Du Plessis said Albertyn lived in a community in which he knew witnesses in the case.